Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Proud To Be An American


There will be time and numerous occasions to put the hyphen to specifically identify what type of American I am. But today, permit me to just say "I am an American." There have been a few times I took pride in being called an American, a couple of which in recent memory was the aftermath of 9-11 and today, seeing a rewrite of history with our sworn 44th President, Barack Hussein Obama.

Yes, I'm proud that after seven years of the devastating tragedy that befell this country; the name "Hussein" or any that sounds Arabic or Islamic wasn't considered a derogatory term (quite popular around the world actually). But a man could raise up his right hand with the other on the Bible and recite: "I, Barack Hussein Obama . . ." The people spoke with their votes and chose hope over fear. They saw that just because a tyrant (Saddam Hussein) shared a certain name, doesn't define everyone who hold the said name. We actually judged a man by what a great American once said: By the content of his character.