Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Awkward Conversations

I look forward to the start of a new holiday season. What I'm not looking forward to is the awkward conversations and settings I'd rather not be in with some family and friends. You know those awkward conversations: "You're not married yet?" "I'm waiting for the day you bring a guy here." Or conversations which lead me to count to 10 or higher from some archaic thinking.

Once, there was a guy I was meeting for the first time but was known to the others in the family. This knucklehead decided get in testy assessments of me. I was like (in my mind) "Negro, I don't know you." Well I did tell him in no uncertain terms he was bucking on the wrong tree. Come to think of it, that was the last time I saw him. And he got uncomfortable a little while later and left (Thank God for the small miracles).

So this year, I've been going through the settings and timing schemes in my mind I could avoid those oh so awkward moments with some family's houses. When all or most of the coupledom would have left and me sashaying in there (alone) is still cool and those who are progressive couples - those who know it's okay to enjoy being single and then being married is just cherry on top will be in place for some enlightened conversations. Wouldn't that be grand?

Tags: Social Settings, Thanksgiving