Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl XLIII Musings

The Game: Oh well, the team (Arizona Cardinals) I was pulling for didn't win but hey, congratulations to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Why did I pull for the Cardinals? They were the underdogs and I've been known to have a soft spot for the underdog - it's a better story. Besides, I like Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald is one of the few guys in sports who don't make me wince when they open their mouths. The brother can put SENTENCES TOGETHER! And the readers of this blog know how I love that. Also, he's the antithesis of a "dumb jock."

About Jennifer Hudson: Great to see her back on the scene after the horrific tragedy with her family. And a spellbinding rendition of the National Anthem. Was it as great as Whitney's? Nah! In my books, Whitney holds the record for the Star-spangled banner just like Ray Charles will always hold the special place in my heart for "America, the beautiful." But Hudson is close (a close second) to Whitney.

The Boss' Performance: Loved his performance at the half-time show but was disappointed he didn't play "Born in the USA" and "the Rising" (My personal fave of Bruce Springsteen's).

And can I just say, I can't believe that guy is about to be 60 - old enough to be my dad! The energy was contagious; did you see how he sled down the stage on his knees. Whoa!

Anyhoo, as much as the Boss was great, he still doesn't top a certain "Prince." Prince's 2007 half-time show will still remain numero uno in my heart (until Michael Jackson decides to stop being crazy and perform like the best entertainer he is). Prince rocked in purple rain and partied like it was 1999. LOVE HIM.

Tag: Superbowl XLIII,