Sunday, May 25, 2008

I Love Me Some Grey's Anatomy

Crossposted at my other blog: http://afro-americawriter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2D30651C10302D91!561.entry


I mentioned once I was singing the blues while the writers’ strike was going on in Hollywood. I must have read more books and magazines during those months than I ever did; and I was already an avid reader. My favorite show, Grey’s Anatomy was also on hiatus during this time and I missed my weekly diet to check in with the “Doctors” of Seattle Grace Hospital. Well the two-hour season finale was last night and it did not disappoint. (What I thought of it will be in another post but first . . .)

I was never a person who jumped on board after the rest of America caught the “Grey’s Anatomy” bug; I was fan from day one. I remember when the show started in the fall of 2005 right after “Desperate Housewives,” programming, I stuck around just to see what this hospital show was all about. As usual, I came in with a little apprehension because at that time I thought most shows on TV sucked. Also, I wondered how successful will another medical drama be since a few over the years I loved have either been cancelled or lust some luster. Shows that come to mind were Chicago’s Hope, City of Angels, and ER (after George Clooney left). So my tepidity towards the new TV show was well placed. However, the writing (the most important factor in my opinion) grabbed me the first few minutes, and the casting of the diverse actors made me an instant fan.

But I was worried if some Americans will get it and not let this great gem I have found NOT go to an early TV grave yard. Well not to worry, month after month, the audience kept building and Grey’s became a bonafide hit. Now “Grey’s” buzz words such as McDreamy, McSteamy, Va-jay-jay (to those living under a rock, let’s just say it refers to a certain female’s anatomy) have become everyday lexicon even the big O (Oprah Winfrey) who’s publicly made know for watching little or no TV, put her stamp of her “favorite” show to the point of using the buzz words (especially the va-jay-jay) on air. Well, TV comedians had fun with that one.

What makes Grey’s successful is not just the medical mumbo-jumbo; that is there in abundance to make the show authentic. However, it is the story about life and how complicated it is whether as a mother, daughter, wife, father, son, or husband and every other role one plays in this thing called life. In one episode, a viewer could go from great comedic timing with the characters of the show and grief when a lovable character (I cried my eyes out when Denny – Izzie’s love) passes away. It is where a so-called jerk (i.e. Alex) could have some redeeming qualities or for a person who made a mistake not to be defined by the misstep – I loved what the Nazi said to recurring character Dr. Montgomery not to let a man define her (great advice).



Tags: Grey's Anatomy