Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dear Pat Riley

I was at the Miami Heat game last night against the Portland Trailblazers. It was my first game at the AAA in over a year. For me, last season was a disaster and I just didn't have any desire to put myself through the misery of seeing the game upclose when I couldn't stand it via my TV screen.

But it's a new season and may I say with the draft picks of Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers, "the Heat is on." And last night, I took a break from the state of our country and her many states of crisis to cheer my favorite team. I wasn't disappointed but in the last 17 seconds of the game, with the deadly shot from Blazers' Rudy Fernandez (could we get that guy?), I stood up to leave - I (along with a companion) knew the Heat couldn't come back.

Here's the deal with what I observed last night: WE NEED SOME BIG MEN!!! Seriously, did you see those Blazers? I even took the time to go through my program book to know my eyes were not deceiving me from the nineth row and got some confirmation about their heights and sizes. Next to them, the Heat guys from 6-2 to 6-9 (and one seven footer) looked like mere mortals. Boy, last night really made me miss Shaq; and where is Zo?

Riles, there is NO person in the middle. What does that give you? A donut! All sweetness, no nutritional value. And using Udonis Haslem (a power forward) as a center won't cut it. Did you see how the limited seven-footer Greg Oden was swatting the ball away like child's play? And what about the 6-11 David Aldridge? OMG! The Heat NEEDS a true center. Those Blazers looked like pillars and they forced many of the Heat guys to take unnecessary shots instead of driving the ball to the basket; thus the reason for the close game loss.

Please, please, please Riles do something bold this season before the trade deadline in February. I REALLY want to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes this year but more importantly, with my home team. Is that too much to ask?

Tags: Pat Riley, Miami Heat, Portland Trailblazers, Greg Oden