Friday, May 1, 2009

Is It Ok To Stash Some Cash?

I caught this story early this morning about the dentist who stashed some cash ($800K) from hubby only for the bank to reveal her personal account to the hubby and now the dentist is suing the bank. I've been wondering why that is such a tricky subject when it comes to women.

Now granted, I'm not married yet but a few years ago I was hanging out with some friends (single) and they were talking about going "joint," "separate," or joint and separate when it came to the money between couples. I discretely kept quiet (which was already a sign to these friends), "so what about you Mo?" Me: "What?" as if I didn't hear it the first time. One of the friends repeated the question. I gave a long (to them) pause. Me: Mmm.

They laughed because I normally have an opinion on most things. You'll know where I stand on black and white (figuratively speaking) issues. There are very minimal shades of grey when it comes to how I see things but I was left stumped. "I don't know . . . it will really have to depend on the guy." I didn't fool most of my friends on that response - one noted my gift of dance just came into play by me "dancing" on that issue. I just laughed it off.

I think money is a very touchy subject. You can tell a lot about a person by how he or she handles their dough. As one person once said: Money just exaggerates what you already are. If you're stingy when you're poor or broke, you'll be stingy when you get's some dough. And the reverse is true.

In this situation, I don't blame the woman (the dentist) all the way (she deserves some blame), there's something going on in that marriage that she felt she couldn't trust her husband to such info. And after the bank revealed her secret, she had to give the husband $155K to "save her marriage and restore order into her marital home." Huh? Ok, that tells me all I needed to know.

So ladies (and gentlemen), the floor is up to you: Do you feel it's ok to stash some cash? Or to reveal everything to your hubby or significant other? Spill . . . enquiring minds want to know.