Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is "Misunderestimate" A Word?

I thought I've heard everything there is to hear about our seven days left President and his unique take on the English Language until yesterday when he gifted me with another "Bushism" in his final press conference. The said word is "misunderestimate."

What in the world is that? I know of "underestimate" and "mis-quote, understood," but "misunderestimate?" Seriously, does this guy keep inventing words as he goes along? There are just too many Bushisms that have left me at a loss for words but let me oblige you a few:
  • The ground keeps me grounded (at his Texas Ranch in one of his many vacations)
  • Too many OB-GYNS are not able to practice their love on women (as a woman, I say EEEWW)
  • Families can't put food on their children (it's food on the table Mr. President)
  • Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you can't get fooled again. (It's fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me).

I just don't get it. In a nation of great communicators (there were many before Ronald Reagan was nicknamed "the great communicator") who founded our constitution, wrote great speeches and books we get Dubya. I truly believe Dubya fulfils the scripture "He uses foolish things to confound the wise." I've had headaches of different sorts if I had to be subjected to another speech. These days I see the speeches as some sort of amusement. Like with this video here:


There is joy in my heart because ONE MORE WEEK, I get a new President who understands syntax and agreement. Who will not give different folks on the Press Corp and his Administration weird nicknames. Obama will actually talk to me like I went to school and was raised to speak "the Queens English" . . . what a day and term(s) that will be.