Saturday, September 20, 2008

Focus on the Family Flop

Focus on the Family is getting on my last Christian nerves. If it wasn't its last flop of an unanswered prayer for rain at Barack Obama's acceptance speech, it is the latest in racial stereotyping with Obama on a waffle cover. But it gets better (I'm being sarcastic, really gets worse) with Barack in a turban at the back of the box. I saw that picture on TV but I'm having a hard time finding and downloading it here.

Anyway, people wonder why the famed saying from Martin Luther King over 40 years still ring true today: "The most segregated hour in America is Sunday morning at 11 o'clock." This stupid cover shows that though Christians should be the ones leading the way on racial and gender harmony; sometimes they are the last all for the sake of a perceived party.

Here's what I don't understand: When did the Republican party become the "God" party? And why would a "Christian" organization like Focus on the Family (FOF) use such degrading images of another individual just for the sake of its chosen party win in November? I thought Scriptures said in Christ, there is no male or female, Jew or Gentile, etc. For we are all one in the Body.

But this particular scenario and FOF's prayer display a few months ago really makes me wonder if these Christians know anything about the greatest command of all - love. I wonder if they studied their Bible and considered their perfect example in Christ who spoke to the Samaritan woman when it was a taboo for Him as a Jew to do so.

To FOF, I say this "waffle" fiasco is a disgrace to your faith and you don't speak for me as another person of faith.

Tags: Focus on the Family, Obama's Waffles