Wednesday, August 6, 2008

How To Look Good Naked

Got your attention huh? But actually I'm talking about a TV show, which created a lot of buzz last season. I've been thinking about the premise of the show, which is getting women to get comfortable in their own skin and literally, get naked.

I was intrigued before the show started and I was also apprehensive at the same time. The latter state was thinking the show was going to change a regular woman to a far-fetched concept. But I found out my doubts to be further from the truth.

The show’s host, Carson Kressley of the “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” fame is out to debunk the theory. He isn’t trying to change the American woman to some supermodel type but to appreciate the body she has now, period. I busted out laughing on last night’s episode when he told a volunteer who was a wife and mother of four that she had better things in life to do than walk a runway looking angry and hungry.

At first, when the show started I wondered why it always have to be the women with the body issues, self-image screws, etc. that need to be fixed. But over the past year, I’ve seen women really need help. We are bombarded with images on every side of having the best body, best accessories and who made the definition for the best body anyway?

As I stood at a store’s checkout lines a few days ago, I had to put back a magazine which was rating each female “star’s” body as “winner” or “loser.” Oh the pressure! It reminded me why in my late teens into my mid-twenties, I made a critical decision not to subscribe to any of such magazines. In fact, I chose not to read any of them for some years. I subscribed to Fitness and Self, and later "O" -The Oprah Magazine the past few years.

Though I had issue with Fitness in the 90s with having little to no black models on its cover, I appreciated its focus on health and less on a “perfect” body type. People (especially women) are shocked when I tell them I’ve never dieted a day in my life. I’ve always thought of the first three letters that precede the word “diet” as a way to stay away from such action.

Now I believe in eating healthy and I struggle with my sweet tooth. But that’s okay; I do it in moderation. For example, a couple of days ago, I succumbed to the temptation of the “hot now” sign from Krispy Kreme. But guess what? I only went through the drive-thru to buy two individual hot glazed doughnuts not a dozen. And yesterday, I spent some time in the gym.

That’s why the show “how to look good naked” is resonating with many viewers. Even Oprah dedicated a whole show to the new show. It doesn’t make sense for women to cheat themselves out of having a life just because of the shape of their stomach, butt, hips and thighs. Newsflash: That’s what makes you a WOMAN.

The volunteer of yesterday’s show couldn’t go into her family’s swimming pool to play with her kids because she didn’t like how she looked. You know what was going on in my mind? If she was spending time in that pool, not only will she feel and look better, she would have spent some quality time with her kids. Duh!

I’m glad the show is trying to start a revolution like Dove has been doing for a few years. But my gripe is what if there is NO team of experts in make-up, wardrobe and photography to tell you your best features? Why do we have to wait for someone on the outside to affirm us before we feel we are enough and make the best of what we’ve got?

Tags: How To Look Good Naked, Lifetime TV, Oprah, Carson Kressley, Body Image